CTO.COP5.02 Transformative Practices: Equality, Justice, and Inclusion
Part 2: Employment Services in the Psychiatric Rehabilitation System: Principle to Practice
Employment Specialists are on the front lines of rehabilitation. To provide effective vocational rehabilitation services to individuals with psychiatric barriers it is imperative that we have sound principles as a foundation. Our support systems do not always embrace the principles that can lead to successful rehabilitation and person-centered, real life goal achievement for those we serve. While no one in our field would intentionally perpetuate practices or beliefs that could harm an individual’s progress, it is not always easy to navigate a service system that does not always recognize the value of employment as an outcome.
This webinar is intended to engage supported employment professionals in a discussion pertaining to principles that should be at the foundation of service provision. We will then discuss how these principles can be put into practice, including how to advocate for employment as a valued outcome within our services system. Pragmatic strategies for navigating and utilizing our current service system to improve outcomes for those we serve will be offered as well.
Individuals participating in this webinar will learn:
- What principles are essential to the idea of rehabilitation?
- How can I as an Employment Specialist ensure that these principles are at the heart of service provision in my organization?
- How do I advocate for and with the individuals I am serving to combat competing values?
- What are some pragmatic strategies and practices I can use to mitigate barriers associated with mental illness?
- How can I help individuals develop a work ethic?
January 23, 2018
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM